The main processes for PIM are:
- listing products (on-boarding / item-creation);
- enrichment of data (including the integration of digital assets);
- configure / assembling products;
- feeding publications;
- managing product data (content and quality).
Listing a product
The listing of (base) data for a new or unknown product can be achieved in various ways, either manually or automatically from eg a data pool (on-boarding). When setting up the product listing process attention should be paid to process efficiency and the assurance of quality in order to avoid problems in the future process and keep time-to-market as short as possible. In this context, it is often desirable to make arrangements with suppliers. In case a company is more involved in the creation process of new products, a PIM system can be expanded with basic product life cycle features. In more complex cases the solution is to use a separate PLM system for this (PLM -Product life cycle Management and/or Private Label Management) and interface this with the PIM system as soon as products are becoming sellable items
In this process, the data from the product-creation process will be enriched with additional information, as shown in the attached figure. Just as in the design of products there should also be paid attention to the enrichment process data for quality assurance and efficiency. Using pooled data , golden records and clever formulas to 'calculate' the field contents can lead to significant efficiency gains and enables an organisation able to carry a very wide range and manage without this results in additional work.
For building positive business case each company has to define the key benefits for their specific case.
A positive case cannot be build only with a PIM system, also the organisation and the processes play a key role. In general one can think of the following benefits :
Supplier and product data on-boarding
-With the high degree of automation and self-service for the users, it saves time and operational costs. Onboarding also automatically merges various data formats and sources into one step.
Product data management
-Efficient control of master data; assortments, items, hierarchies, features, references and so on
-Better productivity of handling information and quicker working processes throughout all departments
Data quality and business process management
- More efficient business processes which provides more consistent productdata
- Consistency and re-usability of quality rules to streamline business processes with more efficiency
- Increase conversions in eCommerce through rich product content
Ensure a holistic Data Governance policy to reduce risks
- Faster product launches across all channels
- Higher margins and conversion rates in eCommerce
- Increased sales through smart cross and up-selling