Below are some future developments regarding PIM:
- From content to context: PIM is no longer something exciting but just as logical as an ERP system. The multi-media product data is used in conjunction with customer data in order to achieve personalized offers and information. Also supplier data are of interest here. Multi domain Master Data Management brings these disciplines together.
- Data quality: as soon as organizations integrated basis principles for PIM, the attention shifts to optimization, paying attention to (managing) data quality. Suppliers will respond to this with more sophisticated tooling.
- Some of the PIM vendors distinguish themselves by offering more template-based solutions to achieve accelerated implementations. Besides the well-known PIM players, open source and cloud-based solutions offer an increasingly important alternative.
- 360 ° product: in addition to a 360° customer view, there is an increasing need for a 360° product image, in which the customer feedback is incorporated and possibly also elements of social data.
- 3D printing: 3D printing requires additional product information: to manage the design, description, preparation and any personalization wishes to the product and be able to print in 3D.
- Chain integration: suppliers who are interested in your products are displayed on the web with all the right content. They put more effort into feeding data pools with rich content.
- A network of ecosystem vendors arises who will offer products themselves via the web. Initially they will support their exisiting customers, but they will increasingly deliver directly to end customers.
- Product Data in the cloud: an increasing number of data pools which are intended for crowded data becomes available for products. You no longer need to depend on a data supplier.
- Linked data: With linked data, you can create product websites which can be found more easily by search engines. The development of a linked data-language in order for search engines to read and interpret product attributes in web pages, can lead to virtual PIM systems.